Preview | 2007.04.20


2007Q1 console sales:
(With DS outselling every system and PS2 outselling X360 and PS3.)

It's nice Sony and Microsoft are getting theirs. To paraphrase the past few years of trash talk:

That said, I have a fever for a racing game. And the only prescription is a Gran Turismo or Forza. If there's one group that's as annoying as the trash talking SCEA and X360 brass, it's Polyphony. Extraordinary delays, repeated feature sets, and the greatest sin of all: almost charging for content on a re-release. They were the best, and then stopped trying. I believe the verb is 'to EA'.

History indicates the second Forza will follow the Halo series and be the same game with more polygons. It'd be nice to see some innovation, but that's just not going to happen with Microsoft so worried about taking risks with their franchise titles.

Still if the gameplay is solid I'll unshun Microsoft and pick up their system. The Forza car list has been released. Ultimately the quality of the list depends on how it's used. If you have no business buying 90% of the cars because the other 10% blow their class away, your huge list just became very short.

I'm of course saddened that rally hasn't yet been introduced into the series. But other than that I'm impressed. They have a great sampling from so many generations of motorsports. The multiplicity of a single model exists in having numerous race versions rather than the ten different consumer models. The mid-90's lineup is strong, as are the LeMans GT series cars.

Most of all, I'm looking forward to playing with a wheel. It's been all dual shock for me until now. A precision analog wheel and pedal set should make the experience much more enjoyable.

Some highlights of the list...
2002 M3 GTR / 2006 Corvette C6R / 1964 250 GTO / 2003 Mugen S2000 / 1993 XJ-220 / 2005 Exige / 1998 FTO / 1997 GTO / 2002 Skyline Nur / 2007 Peugot 207 / 1995 911 GT2 / 1998 Tommy Kaira Impreza / 1969 2000GT / 1998 VeilSide Supra / 2001 Tuscan R / 2003 R32

Sadly missing...
Nismo Skyline GTR / Veyron / AMG CL35 / M6 / R10 LMP / R34 / Astra



Comments

If you press U/U/D/D/L/R/L/R and A/B/A/B you get to unlock the secret car - the Audi A4 wagon. Did I mention the infinite lives and all the weapons and ammo you also get?

Chris

Yeah I heard they dropped a Lambo V-10 in A4's rear. It edged out Rod Millen's MR Pike's Peak Celica in the quarter, which you get with B/A/B/A/U/D/B/A/L/R/B/A/START.


Be careful, if you use the directional L,R, your car might explode. You have to use the L,R shoulder buttons.

Chris

I doubt we've seen the last of it. I hear the next model they're introducing is paying to get next month's free content now.



Related - internal

Some posts from this site with similar content.

Post
2006.11.20

[Insert forced Wii pun here]

The Wiil deal, Wiimendous fun, I dream of Wiinie. And so forth.
Post
2017.06.13

E3 2017

AAA titles are all the rage at E3 2017.
Post
2013.06.11

E3 2013

New consoles, fast cars, and a giant mech at E3 2013.


Related - external

Risky click advisory: these links are produced algorithmically from a crawl of the subsurface web. I haven't personally looked at them or checked them for quality, decency, or sanity. None of these links are promoted, sponsored, or affiliated with this site.
For more information, see this post.

trendless.tech

Games: How Do People Make Games? - Trendless Tech: mostly timeless computer facts

The electronic gaming industry is huge. It's been pulling in more money than movies for some time now, and as technological implementations like ever-increasing processing power and VR become more affordable, it's only a matter of time before games become the primary medium of electronic entertainment. Once technology opens up AR (augmented reality) interfaces, game [...]Read More... from Games: How Do People Make Games?
404ed
blog.chand1012.dev

How to Stream Any Game, on Any Console, to Anywhere. :: Chandler's Dev Blog

Ever wanted to bring your library of home console games (PC, PS4, or Xbox One) on the go? Ever wanted to play a round or two of Call Of Duty while sitting in the school library studying for a class you never payed attention to? Well, with some basic knowledge of router settings, a half decent laptop or smartphone, and an internet connection that's not dial-up, you can! PlayStation 4 The defacto and only way to stream your PS4 out of home are as follows: own a PS Vita/PS TV (not many p...
404ed
copetti.org

PlayStation 3 Architecture | A Practical Analysis

An in-depth analysis that explains how this console works internally

Created 2023.12 from an index of 29,640 pages.